The movement of wind and water, the heat and light of the sun, the carbohydrates in plants, and the warmth in the Earth—all are energy sources that can supply our needs in a sustainable way. A variety of technologies are used to convert these renewable resources into electricity. Each comes with its own unique set of benefits and challenges; collectively, they represent our best hope in the fight against climate change.
“Nature has made all things specifically for the sake of man”
Aristotle, ancient Greek philosopher
Sustainable energy on the other hand, is designed to improve access to affordable and clean energy for all and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the carbon footprint of the energy sector in the region. It promotes international policy dialogue and cooperation among society, governments, energy industries, and other stakeholders. The focus is on energy efficiency, renewable energy production, hydrogen exploitation, aiming at energy security.
In Aigio region the harnessing of the power of nature for the benefit of the citizens while aiming at an overall environmental protection, is being shaped with the following entities/ environmentally friendly endeavors:
- A wind farm in Panachaiko mountain, overlooking the Corinthian gulf
- 1 Hydroelectric park in Lake Tsivlos
- 1 small hydroelectric project near the falls of Selinounta river, in the breathtaking homonymous gorge
- Company “Viorgan”, with an expertise in composting and earthworm farm production.
Likewise, the Municipality of Aigialeia has been involved in the following project – public collectivities:
- The Covenant of Mayors for climate and energy, with an already submitted Sustainable Energy Action Plan, aiming at an overall CO₂ emission reduction of 28%.
- The Sustainable City Network, with a purpose of submitting and implementing project proposals for funding by European Programs, in the areas of sustainable development, sustainability, protection of the Environment, circular economy and eco-innovation.
- The Network of Cities with Lakes, aiming at a sustainable management of the lakes, public awareness and mapping of water systems
- Various projects within the geographic area of the Municipality, with regards to energy upgrade of certain infrastructure (schools, public swimming pool).